Sunday, August 7, 2011

Book Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White


(From Goodreads)
Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.



Characters: I thought the characters were...meh. Not bad but just meh. I liked Evie's personality, especially in the beginning but as the story went on, the things she said seemed a bit cheesy and her words became a bit punch-liney. It also annoyed me how she said, "Bleep," instead of actually cursing. I'm not advocating swear words but this was just too cheesy. Reminded me a bit of Forgive My Fins. I liked Lend but the same goes for him also. He was awesome and BA in the first half of the book but he got boring the last half. The relationship between Evie and Lend felt a bit fake when they (spoiler alert ahead! Highlight to see!) got out of the IPCA. I'm pretty disappointed about that because I loved it when the two of them would just talk and Evie would have to sneak around to see him. I really loved Jacques in all of his werewolf glory! He was so nice and funny! Be my bestie Jacquese alongside Will Henry from The Monstrumologist (see my review for the Monstrumologist here!)


Plot: Despite my thoughts on the characters, the plot was actually very good! It surprised me a bit and I was left wanting more!


Writing Style: This book is written kinda how Evie talks and I didn't really like that too much. She sounded like a teenager and that got pretty annoying. I did like the descriptions and details though.


Verdict: On my Goodreads  I gave this book 3/5 stars. I think I'm going to have to change that to 2/5 stars now. I just thought this book was okay. I can't really say I liked it but I didn't hate it. I do still plan on reading the second book in the series because I am curious to find out what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment