Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Book Review: Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien




(From Goodreads)
IN THE ENCLAVE, YOUR SCARS SET YOU APART, and the newly born will change the future.
Sixteen-year-old Gaia Stone and her mother faithfully deliver their quota of three infants every month. But when Gaia’s mother is brutally taken away by the very people she serves, Gaia must question whether the Enclave deserves such loyalty. A stunning adventure brought to life by a memorable heroine, this dystopian debut will have readers racing all the way to the dramatic finish.


Characters: I REALLY like Gaia. It is very rare for me to like a protagonist as much as I liked her. She was headstrong and very determined, but not in an annoying way. When bad things happened to her I felt her pain and that doesn't really happen often for me. I felt as though Gaia was older than 16 and I liked that. She seemed 19 or 20 to me.Well, most of the times. (Begin Rant: What's with authors and the age 16? Just because you are writing a young adult novel does not mean the protagonist has to be 16 or 17. Believe me when I say NOTHING AMAZING happens when you turn 16. Guys don't suddenly take interest in you and you don't meet your soul mate. End Rant.)   I LOVED Leon! He was a very well written character and had so many layers. I liked how the author created characters with so much depth and they actually felt real. 

Plot: There were many surprises in this book. I never knew what was going to happen and that's new for me! The ending...oh the ending. It was JUST LIKE (Spoiler alert spoiler alert! Highlight to read!) the ending of Delirium by Lauren Oliver! I said to myself 50 pages before the end that this better not be like Delirium but lo and behold, IT WAS! I was pretty pissed about that. It also reminded me of The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray but not as final. There is still a chance Leon will appear in the next novel. Hopefully. HE HAS TO! (I hope I didn't ruin Delirium or The Sweet Far Thing for any of you guys!) I did feel as though some things were too coincidental like her finding help at the right time EVERY TIME she was in trouble. But I liked this book so much I was able to overlook those things! 

Writing Style: I loved the writing style! I was gripped from the first page. Caragh M. O'Brien did an amazing job of bringing you into this broken world. I also loved the bits of flashbacks here and there. I usually don't like flashbacks but here it works. There isn't too much of it and they help the story progress. 

Verdict: I'm tempted to give this book a 4.75/5 just because of the ending but I'm just gonna give it a 5/5. Why not? It deserved it!

Comment below and tell me anything you would like for me to review! Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment