Sunday, March 20, 2011

Book Review: I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore


(From Goodreads)In the beginning they were a group of nine. Nine aliens who left their home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack by the evil Mogadorian. Nine aliens who scattered on Earth. Nine aliens who look like ordinary teenagers living ordinary lives, but who have extraordinary, paranormal skills. Nine aliens who might be sitting next to you now.

The Nine had to separate and go into hiding. The Mogadorian caught Number One in Malaysia, Number Two in England, and Number Three in Kenya. All of them were killed. John Smith, of Paradise, Ohio, is Number Four. He knows that he is next.

I AM NUMBER FOUR is the thrilling launch of a series about an exceptional group of teens as they struggle to outrun their past, discover their future—and live a normal life on Earth.

I AM NUMBER FOUR.
I AM NEXT.

When I read this description, I was very excited to read this book. It sounded mysterious and action packed and overall, a good read. So you can understand my feelings when I say I REALLY REALLY DID NOT LIKE THIS BOOK! 

Characters: The first three chapters were okay and I was expecting it to pick up from there but nope, it just flat-lined. The main character was a terribly slow thinker! There were tons of moments in which you figure something very obvious out but it takes the main character, John, 3 chapters and even sometimes the whole book to figure out what you did hours ago. I found the romance between John and Sarah to be sappy and boring. I mean, I could care less if you called her on the phone and yall spent half the time listen to each other breathe! There was ZERO romantic tension! Maybe I would have like Sarah better if the author actually spent time writing about her and letting the reader get to know her. The only characters I really liked were Sam and Bernie Kosar. 

Plot: The plot was a bit too predictable for me. It wasn't anything I was not expecting after I read the synopsis. Never was I surprised.

Writing Style: The writing style was okay. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't great.

Verdict: 1/5. Yup. I wish my first book review could have been a good one.

If you have any other books you think I should read, tell me!



No comments:

Post a Comment