Sunday, August 14, 2011

Book Review: Frozen Fire by Tim Bowler


(From Goodreads)

It starts with a phone call. “I’m dying,” a voice tells Dusty. Who is he and how has he gotten her cell number? Dusty wants no part of this strange boy . . . until he begins saying things that only someone who knows her intimately could say—things that lead her to think he knows the whereabouts of her brother, who disappeared over a year ago. Suddenly drawn in, Dusty very much wants to save this boy. Trouble is, she cannot find him. Part human, part spirit, he won’t let himself be found. He is too dangerous, he says. There are mobs of people who agree and who want to see this boy dead . . . and who will hurt anyone who stands in their way.
A gripping, hair-raising mystery about a boy not of this world, and a girl determined to protect him.


Characters: At first, I really loved the characters. I loved the mystery of the spirit/human boy and wanted to know more about him. Reading about the broken family felt so real. Dusty's dad was on the verge of a meltdown, what with her brother leaving two years prior and her mother following in this footsteps. He was a very fragile guy and watching him fall apart was heartbreaking. And because everyone in his life was abandoning him, he didn't keep Dusty on a short leash, with the fear of losing her if he was too strict. What I didn't like was how Dusty just played her father. She did whatever she wanted and her dad barely objected because he was so weak. Dusty was very stubborn and ALWAYS challenged authority. She had her father eating out of the palm of her hand! I don't know if the author meant for her to come across this way but she did and I didn't like it one bit. Her father was passive and Dusty just stomped all over him and she didn't seem to care. (There is even a point in the book where someone has just recently vandalized their home and Dusty's dad says that they should not stay home for safety reason. Dust just says, "No dad. We are staying home. You're going to work tomorrow and I am going to school." Her dad's response? "Maybe." Dude! Grow some cojones and stop being so scared of your daughter! Be firm with her because in the end, you were right. She almost died because she went to school!

Plot: The plot was kinda interesting but HECKA CONFUSING! There are times in the book were you think you know what's going on but you really really don't. I didn't understand a lot of it and many things were left unexplained. What was the point of ghost/spirit/human guy? Why does he exist? How did he become what he is? I guess we will never know.

Writing Style: The first 100 pages drew me in completely! It was very interesting and wonderfully written. I could really imagine the book as a movie that I would love to see. After that, everything starts to go down hill. Dusty and Spirit Boy start speaking in riddles that NOBODY can decipher there are times that I read a full page and had no idea what was going on but didn't have the energy to go back and read it again. I think the author did a poor job of constructing this world for the readers. I just could not picture this town in my mind whatsoever. It was all just very bland.

Verdict: 1.5/ 5 stars. The only thing that gave this book that half star was the first 100 pages. I was extremely let down by this one. I guess it just wasn't for me :(


No comments:

Post a Comment