Saturday, June 4, 2011

Book Review: The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey

I just finished reading The Monstrumologist and it was AWESOME! It did take me a while to finish it but don't let the put a damper on the amazingness of this book. Yup I loved it so much I'm making up my own words.

(From Goodreads)

These are the secrets I have kept.
This is the trust I never betrayed.
But he is dead now and has been for more than forty years, the one who gave me his trust, the one for whom I kept these secrets.
The one who saved me...and the one who cursed me.
 

So begins the journal of Will Henry, orphaned assistant to Dr. Pellinore Warthrop, a man with a most unusual specialty: monstrumology, the study of monsters. In his time with the doctor, Will has met many a mysterious late-night visitor, and seen things he never imagined were real. But when a grave robber comes calling in the middle of the night with a gruesome find, he brings with him their most deadly case yet. 

A monster-hunting doctor and his apprentice face off against a plague of monsters in the first book of Rick Yancey's new series, The Monstrumologist.



Characters: AMAZING characters! I loved every single one of them in their own special way. I wanted to be Will Henry's bff. He was just so cute and lovable and...and...gahh... (that's me gushing). There is no problem with the fact that I want a twelve year old to be my best friend. None at all. I had a soft spot for Dr. Warthrop, despite the fact that he was a tad bit rude to my bff. And then there was Kearns. Oh Kearns, Kearns, Kearns. He was twisted in all the right ways. He reminded me of Joker from The Dark Night because the twisted evil villaney thing was what made you like them. *Sigh* The characters were just so well written and you had time to watch each one grow and progress. 


Plot: The plot was very good but when you are about a third of the way through, you kind of start guessing what the plot will be. I'm not saying that there are no surprises-- there most definitely are-- but the overall plot wasn't too surprising. That did not take away from the gory goodness of the book though.


Writing Style: Rick Yancey did a wonderful job of creating this spooky, dark, Gothic atmosphere. His words just draw you in. There were numerous occasions where I was left speechless, my jaw hanging by the descriptions given. I would cringe and-- no lie- get chills. Many times I would cry out in disgust (and my sister would promptly shush me.)I also loved the little jokes here in there. I really wasn't expecting it for a book like this. I found myself chuckling at the American Revolution puns (or was it some other war? I was never that good at remembering things!)  Great Job Rick! 


Verdict: 5/5. I Know! It was that good. Now let's give a round of applause for my first perfect scored book!

No comments:

Post a Comment