Friday, July 22, 2011

Book Review: When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

Finally, a book review!

(From Goodreads)
This remarkable novel holds a fantastic puzzle at its heart.
By sixth grade, Miranda and her best friend, Sal, know how to navigate their New York City neighborhood. They know where it's safe to go, and they know who to avoid. Like the crazy guy on the corner.
But things start to unravel. Sal gets punched by a kid on the street for what seems like no reason, and he shuts Miranda out of his life. The apartment key that Miranda's mom keeps hidden for emergencies is stolen. And then a mysterious note arrives, scrawled on a tiny slip of paper. The notes keep coming, and Miranda slowly realizes that whoever is leaving them knows things no one should know. Each message brings her closer to believing that only she can prevent a tragic death. Until the final note makes her think she's too late.

Characters: I could really relate to the main character, Miranda. She seemed so real and I loved reading her thoughts. She was a lot older than her years! I really liked her mom and her mom's boyfriend Richard. He was very kind and lovable! I wanted them to hurry up and get married! Every character in this book felt real and not overdone. 

Plot: Some people thought the plot was predictable but it wasn't to me. Maybe it's because I have never read A Wrinkle in Time, which is what this book is kinda paying homage to. I was very surprised when I found out who had been writing notes to Miranda and how the person knew all of these things about her. All in all, I think it was a very well constructed plot! 

Writing Style: I have to admit I was a bit confused with the writing at the beginning of the story. It was written in the present, then past, then present again. And it is also written like she is writing a letter to someone so it can get a little confusing. I usually don't like when books have a bunch of flashbacks but in this book it is done perfectly. The transitions between past and present were seamless and it never once pulled me away from the actual story (well, you know, except in the first 20 pages). Kudos to Rebecca Stead!

Other Quirks: I really loved how the cover tied in with the book. The landmarks matched up with details of the book and that was really cute! I also liked how most of the chapters titles started with Things you... or  Things that... because of the game show $20,000 Pyramid

Verdict: 4.5/5! Really good, solid book. The only thing keeping me from giving it a 5/5 is the fact that I am still  bit confused about the time travel aspect. I still have questions about it. I don't want to say more because I don't want to give any spoilers! But if you do know what I am talking about, comment below. I want to have clarification!

No comments:

Post a Comment