Sunday, July 24, 2011

Book Review: Across The Universe by Beth Revis


(From Goodreads)

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.



Characters: I really liked the characters in this book. I actually liked the the main character, Amy, which surprised me a bit. I was thinking she might be one of those annoying protagonists but she wasn't. I thought Harley was cool and unique. I know everyone in the ship looked the same (brown hair, brown eyes, olive skin) but I imagined Harley having blonde hair shocking green or blue eyes. His difference in personality made me think he looked different all together. I loved how Elder was sneaky and crept about Eldest all the time. The one thing I didn't like was the romance between Amy and Elder. It felt very rushed. I didn't feel the connection between them that much. They weren't together that much but they still start falling in love. They kissed once and  that resulted in Amy running away because of some emotional reasons.  This was not a simmering love story. Nobody said it was, but I was expecting way more in the love department. But Elder did say some very swoon worthy things!


Plot: It was a very solid plot. Nothing amazing about it but it was very well put together. I could kinda piece together some things and I didn't thing the ending was that great. It was just okay. I do wish they touched on how Amy was still conscious while frozen (like how sometimes patients are still aware of things while under anesthesia). Maybe something could have been wrong with her but we will never know. 


Writing Style: This book is told from two points of views. (That is a pretty big thing and I wish they had talked about Elder in the synopsis.) I always like getting the two points of views in books and this book did it very well.


Other Quirks: I thought the twistedness (yeah, not a word) of the world in the ship was very interesting to read. Hitler was portrayed as a great leader because he canceled all differences. Abraham Lincoln did not write the Emancipation Proclamation. He sent all the slaves back where they came from because he wanted oneness. 


Verdict: 4/5! I wanted a bit more love but besides that, it was very very good! Can't wait for the sequel!

No comments:

Post a Comment